Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Weird Things Happen To Me All The Time #1

Today as I was walking down the street for lunch, some woman stopped me and tried to get me to go to a special store, where I think what she was saying was that they could fix the scars or marks on my face. First I said "Wo shi waiguoren, wo bu dong." (I am a foreigner, I don't understand.) She didn't give up though, she just started touching my face pointing out what needed to be fixed. Finally I said "Wo yinggai qu gongzuo." (I'm sorry I have to go to work.) at which point she finally left me alone.

Are Taiwanese women between the ages of 30-50 in a conspiracy to make me self conscious about my appearance, because if so, IT'S WORKING.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try not to let it get to you....Its gonna be tough.

A lot of people only care about appearances. My mother, if not for her good looks, would have had hell for treatment when she married my father. But she was pretty, so my fathers relatives left her pretty much alone.

If you want to talk about women being objects in the states, I think its fair to say that they are equally so on the island.

-Michelle

Anonymous said...

*rolls eyes*

Whatever. I still think you're gorgeous. ;)

-jam

lovelesscynic said...

It seems like in Taiwan the art of using women and their bodies to sell things is certainly much more frank than it is in the States. In stores selling underwear there are giant pictures of women taking their clothing off and so walking on the street you're frequently confronted by a picture of a woman taking her shirt off, or occaisionally some woman in a thong. Often when selling things they have attractive young women in very little clothing walking around in order to attract people to come look at things.