Thursday, August 18, 2005

Deathnote

This comic that I'm reading is really weird. So this kid who's a top student in his class acquires this "Deathnote" from a god of death who comes to the human world because he's bored. Actually I think a slightly better if less catchy translation would be Death Notebook. Anyway, if you write the name of a person and think of this person's face within 40 seconds they will die. So, rather unlike what I think the hero of a series should do, he starts writing in it. The first couple people that he kills, it doesn't seem so bad. The first one is some guy who he sees on TV holding children hostage, and the second one is this biker guy who is harassing a girl on the street. However, he decides that from now on, he's going to write down the names of those who he sees on the news commit crimes. Therefore, he concludes people will be afraid to commit crimes and the world will be a better place.

After a while people catch on, and so an international meeting is held with some secret operative known as L, who no one has ever seen. L vows to expose this mysterious mass murderer and our hero, Yue or Moon, which I think is Tsuki or Zuki in Japanese, becomes enraged and vows to expose and kill L instead. Frankly it seems a terrifying premise that a cold, clinical 17 year old boy has the power to kill us all, but it's interesting and I find myself looking forward to reading it. There are large chunks of it that I still don't understand, but I feel like I do pretty well in comparison to how much I get out of reading say, Song poetry without a dictionary.

No comments: