Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Ghost Month Parade

Yesterday, apparently was the culmination of the Ghost Month, which meant I had the day off because all evening classes were canceled because no one would actually be able to get to the school. I've decided I'm not really a parade person. There were quite a few floats that seemed to combine many things, Chinese opera, Buddhist chants, old men in Rotary Club outfits (I didn't even know there was a Rotary club in Taiwan, those guys get around), scantily clad young teenage girls, disco music, candy, flashing lights, children performing various stunts, such as one guy who was jumping rope while sitting on the ground, brass bands and other things. Unfortunately, I get sort of bored standing in one place so I sort of walked around and saw various parts of it. There was also a rock band, however they were surrounded by these older geeky guys, and at first I couldn't figure out why. Then I took a closer look and there was a big Democratic Progressive Party sign.

No comments: