Saturday, May 12, 2007

Unexpected Kindness

So unless I have sunk to greater depths and forgotten when my own birthday is, people have been sending me birthday congratulations early. It's tomorrow...right?

One student apparently remembered I told her when my birthday was and her mother showed up yesterday with a giant cake. Which my boss assured me was from the most expensive bakery in town. It was taro flavored, but also full of whipped cream, which is not my favorite type of cake filling. But I shared it with everyone in school, so it was ok.

Have I mentioned that I hate goodbye parties? Or, to be more specific, I hate insincere goodbye parties. I have apparently managed to successfully avoid my boss's and now one of my adult classes. The woman who invited me was certainly sincere, but I'm pretty sure that her husband doesn't particularly like me, and I really don't want to spend a couple hours being patronized by 30 something professionals. I'm not required to put up with people I don't like when I'm on my own dime.

The only one that I did accept was my other adult class. We're not all that close either, but at the end of the day they are really nice people. So that's the only one I'll do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy almost-birthday!