Wednesday, November 09, 2005

United by Jay

Today one of my students was telling me about how much he liked Jay. He said, "My mother thinks he is ugly. But I think his singing is very good." I also told him that I liked Jay's singing as well. Even people who say they hate Jay have to shamefacedly confess that they like his songs. Later my friend remarked that his girlfriend hates Jay and can't wait for him to break up with his newscaster girlfriend. It seems like, like him or hate him there's just no way to get away from Jay these days even if you wanted to.

Furthermore this student also told me that he received a letter from his sister in America. Since she never writes to him, he was very happy. However, when he opened it, he found that it contained a letter not to him, but to her boyfriend. As he said "The letter was --blech." As he left he remarked rather darkly, "I want to see her boyfriend."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's sad. Sometimes people are so clueless. I'd write him a letter, but it might be hard for you to explain why a person he doesn't know is writing to him...

Anonymous said...

id love to hear your observations/opinions on kin relations in Taiwan.

-Michelle

lovelesscynic said...

I think he knows what's going on. Probably his parents don't know their daughter has a boyfriend, so as he aptly described it "I am a mail carrier." I suggested that he tell his sister she has to write to him or he will give his parents the letter.