Sunday, November 27, 2005

A boy or a girl?

So there's this boy in one of my classes. And one of the questions that the other kids (sarcastically) ask is "Is Jason a boy or a girl?" This kid acts pretty girly.

Anyway, today the Chinese teacher was a substitute and she told me she used to be the TA for his class. She said, "When he was little, he acted like a girl." She went on to say, "There used to be another classmate, Kevin, and when the secretaries asked him what he wanted to be, he would say, 'I want to be a woman.'" It's sort of interesting to me that she said this in a tolerant way, more as if these were amusing eccentricities rather than something else. Actually Jason's behavior has gotten more and more girly. And today at the end of the class he said, "I am Sandy." and sort of walked around swaying. Maybe he's more comfortable in the class or maybe he's just playing it for laughs. I'm not sure.

Like with the kid who tried to kiss another boy, I often wonder whether or not people realize that it can be interpreted as gay behavior. Most of the kids seem tolerant of it at least in class but maybe they just don't make the connection.

No comments: