Monday, July 11, 2005

Why I should never consume caffeine ever

Since apparently a cup of coffee in Taiwan equals an Americano, (for for those of you who are not coffee drinkers an Americano is a shot of espresso with hot water added), I have been gleefully indulging my caffeine addiction to the point where on Sunday when I forgot to have coffee I got the holy mother of all headaches and had to come back home.

Anyway, on my current caffeine high I have been trying to think of a dictionary definition of the word Hella. Please feel free to add your own, if there is in fact anyone out there.

Hella adj. an adjective expressing an undefined quantity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

UrbanDictionary.com (hey, I'm a proofreader!) says "hella" originated in San Francisco and is used in place of "very" or "really." Personally, I think it sounds like a shortened "hell of a" or "helluva," which would fit in with the definitions above.

Anonymous said...

do you get coffee at starbucks?

lovelesscynic said...

there is a bakery two blocks from my apartment which serves coffee for 35 NT, and it's good. Also there's a place where I can sit down
outside which is nice because then I can people watch. There is one
Starbucks in Jilong although I haven't been...yet.

Anonymous said...

good for you :P have you tried the various teas from bubble tea stands yet? My fav. is the passion fruit green tea.

-Michelle

Anonymous said...

Strong coffee as the norm? Sounds like you're in heaven.

And yeah, hella does mean something along the lines of "a lot, but not a buttload."
-Jess

lovelesscynic said...

If you tell me the names of what these fruits and teas are and which ones are good, I'd definitely try them. For right now, I stick with "Zhenzhu naicha" since I can read the signs but I have no idea what they describe. I just figured out Passionfruit was Baixiangguo the other day.