Saturday, July 16, 2005

Stuff that's kind of fucked up

In a record store, they sell this CD that's called Orientalism. No joke. That and one of the tracks is called Siamese Sex Show. Encountering it in Asia is also a little weird.

Also there's a brand of toothpaste called Heiren, which means Black Person and it shows a black man in a top hat with shining teeth.

This place that my roommate Rodger told me exists in Jilong which he calls The Cages, which is pretty much a brothel with girls in cages. He told me he visited once with another teacher, although he says he was just window shopping.

In more uplifting news, I've been watching Chinese MTV a lot. There's a record store a couple doors down from my apartment where there were about 200 teenagers, mostly girls lining up to buy a new CD. I got sort of curious about what pop sounded like. If you're curious, Ying (former Language Scholar at Reed) recommended
http://mp3.baidu.com/
unfortunately it's in simplified characters which are more difficult for me to read but you can always click on the top 100 newest songs, 200 most popular artists, or 500 top songs.
some things that I've been listening to are
幸福下载 by 元卫觉醒
睁一只眼 闭一只眼 by 蔡依林
亲一下 by Sweety
飘移 by 周杰伦 or Jay Zhou/Chou

1 comment:

lovelesscynic said...

Looking back on this post, I realized that this may attract a lot of accidental traffic from people looking for something else. Oh well, welcome Asian fetishists!