Tuesday, July 12, 2005

K2-82

I've been teaching for a couple weeks now, but there really hasn't been much of note, however tonight's 5-7 class took the cake. We were playing a game. I divided the class into two teams, I believe they were the Pinky-Mimi team and Team 2 who couldn't think of a name. Anyway, a person from each team would have to give me an answer and the one who said it first got to pick a number of points from a grid on the board, then they had to roll the dice. They could choose to either keep the points for their team or give it to the other team. Odd numbers meant negative points, even numbers meant positive points.

I have a pair of twins in my class and both of them started calling out Jesus's name before rolling the dice. Pretty soon the whole class was chanting "Jesus! Jesus!" every time they rolled the dice. It seems a little weird to me to be calling out Jesus's name when what we were doing was essentially gambling. Also it is a bit frivolous to call on the Son of God to give you a lucky roll. But anyway, it was certainly a memorable class.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...

does 5-7 mean from 5pm to 7pm? and how old are these kids?

-Michelle

lovelesscynic said...

Yes 5-7 pm. I think they're probably between 9-12, it's hard to tell. Some of them are definitely older.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, you must be online right now :D Hi hi Clara!

I hope you arnt too lonely over there.

-Michelle

hollibobolli said...

In reading this post and glancing over to the selections on the side bar.. I'm going to have to go back and read your posts.. looks very funny.

But must do this after some sleep.

Agreed - gambling for Jesus - weird combination..

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the kid has observed a parent calling on the Lord for luck with the dice? It's like some people pray for their horse to win or ask God to help them find a good car. (Unfortunately, that approach to religion isn't unknown to me.) Most of all, tho, I would have loved to have seen the expression on your face!

Anonymous said...

How interesting. :)

Granted, you're in an entirely different country and program, but your story reminds me of some of the things Azrael says in his "I am a Japanese Schoolteacher" blog (http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html).

I'm glad you find it amusing, though. It would suck if it were weird *and* unfunny.

-Jam