Sunday, July 17, 2005

Typhoon!

So we clearly have electricity during the typhoon. Although classes at my school were cancelled for today. Most everything is closed, except for 7-11 and the police station. So I'm sort of holed up in the apartment for today. In some ways it's kind of nice because I have an excuse to not really go anywhere and just relax for the day. I studied some for the GRE, most of you this doesn't apply for, but for those of you who just graduated, consider taking the GRE right out of high school. Why? Because it's exactly like an AP test only easier since it's not on a specific topic. I'm not that worried about it, except that I'm sort of out of practice at writing stupid essays in 45 minutes and answering annoying reading comprehension multiple choice questions. Standardized tests are such bullshit.

Anyway, the typhoon here so far hasn't been too spectacular, it's just raining really really hard and incredibly windy. There are only two windows in the apartment neither of which is anywhere near my room but I can still hear the wind and rain.

The most dramatic thing about it is that there's no one out on the street at all and all the stores are closed. One thing about Jilong anyway is that walking the streets in the morning, during the day, and at night, the same places are almost unrecognizeable. During the day, most of the stores extend their business out onto the street in front of their store. Also, mostly because of the rain most sidewalks in Jilong are covered walkways, the second floors of the buildings are built out over them I'm pretty sure, so as you walk by you're often literally walking through their store. In the morning, since most stores here open at 11, they all have metal shutters that completely cover their storefront. At night all the bars and strip bars are recognizeable since their signs are the only ones that are lit up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eek! that's what the idea of you in a typhoon makes me think! But it sounds like you're doing OK and the city knows how to deal with it. Is the rain much worse than NW rain? or Hilo rain? (And I just realized I haven't been visualizing wind + rain. Double trouble.) Hope it passes you by soon.