Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thinking Blogger Award (there will be much linking and gnashing of teeth)

So Magniloquence nominated me for a Thinking Blogger Award. Which is very sweet of her and of course, extremely gratifying. The rules are

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote

However, she also eliminated herself and Little Light, from the selection pool, which takes out a lot of my options, and also the two blogs that I read with great regularity that also make me think. We are, as she says, all alumna of a Certain Venerable If Hella Whitewashed Institution. Funny how that stuff works out sometimes.

Another tongxue from a More Diverse Secondary School, Wendao Jinxin is also someone who I read frequently and respect tremendously. My sole complaint would be that he's usually too busy selling his soul to corporate America to post very frequently. His blog bounces around between breaking down ways of selling things and what this means for communication, the datasphere,and repping himself as a sex god and lots of other good stuff.

Most of my other blogs of choice are written by Asian Americans, while attending this Certain Venerable If Hella Whitewashed Institution, I was pretty much the only Asian American, who actually identified as Asian American. Thank you, the Internet.

The Fighting 44s is a website I recently discovered that does make me think. They generally post articles culled from other sources but they're generally pretty good. The rape in the military article was particularly thought provoking, if incredibly grueling and heavy. As well as the evangelist vs. atheist debate.

Probably the site that I go to every day, and which definitely kept me connected to Asian America is of course Angry Asian Man. I'm not sure how much his comments, which are relatively short and to the point make me think, but the stuff that he posts sure does. Generally hate crimes, particularly those against Asians are often unreported by the media, which naturally does not give a fuck. Reading about it on his site reminds me that there's still a lot of progress to be made and things that we can do about it.

I also like The Angry Arab News Service from time to time. Since he provides a perspective on the Middle East that's pretty much at odds with every other American commentator, liberal or conservative. He's also got an awesome sense of humor, much of it involves the King of Jordan and PS3s.

I can't really think of anything else that makes me think. There are other things that I read which amuse me, but generally they do not really induce mental cogitation. Clearly I need to broaden my horizons. Although via Magniloquence's post I did find The Unapologetic Mexican, who looks pretty interesting as well. Hooray for linking.

9 more days until my next day off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have the funniest tagline i've ever seen. "i'm short and angry"

i laughed out loud at this! i thought it was an old blog i made and then forgot about or something.

thanks for the linklove. :)

lovelesscynic said...

Well thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Seriously though, it's kind of hard to be angry and short. You spend lots of time waving your arms at tall usually white people. And after all that you still can't see a movie clearly in the theater half the time.

And you're welcome for the link love, your site's making me think already.

Nien said...

hahaha, thanks for the mention. im not selling my soul...yet. im training to.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm ... I would be careful personally about linking to some of the Asian-American blogs - it's a shame, but many of them are hotbeds of misogynist twits.*
But hey, where's your "Thinking Blogger Award?" If you've got it, flaunt it :)

*Before I get flamed, that's not to say all Asian American male bloggers, or for that matter, all Asian American men, are misogynist twits, and Angry Asian Man for one, is pretty cool.
And if people get too offended, feel free to delete this comment.

Anonymous said...

well, i understand. i laughed because i thought of myself. i mean, i'm 5' 6" but that is short for an "american" male. i grew up and it was THE STORY of my LIFE...the doctors wanted to put me on growth hormone...but my mother resisted.

5' 6" is not short for someone of Mexican descent. luckily my mother resisted the caucasian doctor urgings. i feel fine now...but growing up i was VERY short. my (white) mom said she breathed a sight of relief once i hit 5 feet. my nanita, my grandmother, was only 4' 11".

i love short angry people! ;)

lovelesscynic said...

Oops, did I sound like I took that the wrong way? I didn't. I appreciate the short angry people 同情 (fellow feeling). For serious! There ought to be a club or something.