Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Guilt

So while ordering coffee in a Starbucks, I got stuck with this female barista, who, in my opinion was attempting to show off her English. Needless to say, I'm not really all that impressed by the use of English anymore. And also her English name was Feeling, not that this has anything to do with anything, but Feeling, for Christ sakes. And sort of told me, rather than asked me if I wanted a tall. At which point, being kind of grumpy (and let's be honest here, kind of an asshole) I was rather visibly annoyed and specified, in Chinese, that I wanted a small.

She then didn't ask me if I was taking it out, or drinking there. I was waiting for my Chinese teacher, so I was drinking it there. She was visibly rather annoyed, and I was visibly rather annoyed. The end.

However, being Japanese, and therefore already guilty in the womb, I now feel like I was an asshole, or even worse, an AMERICAN asshole. Oh horror of horrors. Or am I just succumbing to the Taiwanese sentiment that people who speak English ostentatiously are just trying to show that they're better than everyone else?

No comments: