Friday, December 23, 2005

The Joys of Teaching English

Our school had a Christmas carol competition. Never have I heard so many dispirited renditions of "Frosty the Snowman" "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and "Deck the Halls." Especially the ones where people lost their place and couldn't remember where they were. I had to be the judge and listen to all the kids sing. They hate singing. So do I.

However, I recently gave up my least favorite class to another teacher. There were a lot of kids that I liked but there were also a lot of ill behaved kids in that class. Anyway, it meets in the room right after my other class. One of the girls from my least favorite class came in, and she said, "Don't go. Teach our class." I told her that I wouldn't and the teacher that they had was better. I had brought some blocks to the class I was teaching and she grabbed them and said, "No, stay and teach our class." I felt kind of sad, because as much as I was happy to let that class go, I did like some of those kids a lot. And I was sort of happy that they missed me.

No comments: