Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Have you ever wondered

why we have so many shows about cops and doctors? I mean, a paranoid part of me wonders if there's some sort of purpose in showing the cops to be the good guys, and the criminal justice system to be infallible. I mean, CSI? Come on. Just when it's starting to be proven that a lot of innocent people are in fact in prison. We have a show talking about evidence collection as a means to obtain "the truth." Law and Order? Again, an ode to the criminal justice and prosecution process as an effective and ethical way to obtain justice.

As for the doctor shows, I don't watch enough of them to really say. Perhaps some of you do though? There's got to be something to them.

1 comment:

Jess Is Covered In Flour said...

I used to watch ER religiously, and from what I recall, the emergency patients usually had legitimate complaints or were just endearingly obnoxious drunks. This seems contrary to the stories I hear from G's workday, though I'm not sure what the social-political agenda or reflection here would be. Probably a "hey! socialized medicine would TOTALLY work! People never have bs issues!" plea. (Then again, his work stories are also a solid argument for national healthcare. If people have access to prevention-based medicine, they wouldn't call 911 for a rash on their foot.)