Monday, July 09, 2007

Back (again)

And this time for a while, I think. Anyway, Hawai'i was awfully quick, but good. Although I ate an incredible amount of meat, my family isn't really vegetable eaters. You just can't get beef teriyaki that good on the mainland.

My grandfather did two hula dances. And I ate pasta salad with chopsticks.

And why are all my cousins bananas? Seriously. My Hawai'i cousin is adamant about liking haole guys.

We may resume deeper thoughts in a few hours, however, reading Edward Said's Culture and Imperialism on the plane may have burnt out my brain. I'll probably have something to say about that book in a while.

I also bought Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White by Frank Wu, and Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip Hop Generation by Jeff Chang, which have been on my to-read-when-I-have-some-goddamned-time list for a long long time. I'll probably have some things to say about those two as well I hope. Dammit, this is how all shopping excursions end for me, I start out trying to buy pants and end up with some Asian American books. I'm not sure how this happens exactly, probably something having to do with "will power."

Incidentally a friend of mine was always afraid that one day she would say Edward Said's name, not as it's correctly pronounced, Sa-eed, but Sed, like the past tense of "say." Once she told me, she infected me with this paranoid fear, and now, dear reader, I pass it on to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always say "Ed Sed" as a joke.

Factorial said...
This comment has been removed by the author.