Tuesday, July 10, 2007

God hates Asian Americans

apparently or he/she/it would not allow Bai freakin' Ling to star in a movie adaptation of Shanghai freakin' Baby.

For those of you who are unaware of Shanghai Baby (I can't imagine that you could be unaware of Bai Ling) it's about a beautiful Chinese woman, caught between her drug addict (addicted to an opiate, no less) impotent, childlike Chinese boyfriend, and a barbaric, hypersexual German guy. Also the sex scenes are truly hilariously written and sometimes offensive.

There is nothing on earth that could possibly induce me to watch this film.

For some reason, I wrote my junior qualifying exam on this book, so I'm fairly familiar with it. Many people asked me why I didn't choose to write on a good book, and also why I traded David Bordwell's book on Hong Kong cinema for a copy. (I had gotten rid of my class copy, and I didn't really want to support her by paying for another one.) I can't even blame that one on pot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God. I thought that once people reached the level of B-grade celebrity where they were on those reality tv shows they never got to be in real movies again....

--Amber

lovelesscynic said...

You would certainly hope so, unfortunately, like I said, God hates Asian Americans.

Magniloquence said...

I don't think Bai Ling qualifies as B-grade, even.

I mean, while I thought she was lovely (note, lovely, not particularly talented.. but the costuming really worked for her) in Anna and the King, she managed to get herself cut out of Star Wars III and warranted an entire section of Go Fug Yourself. That seems to be pretty much all she does... she shows up places half-naked, and, um... actually that's pretty much it.

I'm pretty sure you have to at least have a gimmick to get onto Survivor...