Sunday, July 09, 2006

Coolness

I think the concept of "cool" is slightly different in America and Taiwan. Many people, for example, will use "too cool" as a vaguely insulting term. Jay Chou, obviously, is criticized for being cool. Also, my student's father has very long hair, while otherwise dressed very respectably, he has also been called "very cool" in a sort of not complimentary way.

Also, my Chinese teacher told me that she didn't like Jay because he was too cool and also didn't wear any underwear. I sort of laughed in spite of myself. It's just a surprising cultural difference. I mean, in America, we criticize our pop stars for having illegitimate children, or taking lots of drugs, or sleeping with people who are under age. I guess the underwear thing never really occurred to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"cool" in chinese roughly translates to a different character that has a more complicated meaning, i think. sometimes it is used in conjunction with "cold" to describe someone who is cruel and heartless. somehow the rather hip hop attitude of apathy is carried over and seen that way. thats my two cents.

-Michelle