Monday, July 10, 2006

The Black and White Playstation

I read this article
http://poplicks.com/2006/07/white-is-coming.html on one of my favorite blogs. I'm sort of astounded by people's stupidity. I mean, what could you possibly be thinking. My favorite part of the whole thing is just how the picture is developed. The background itself is quite dark, so the white woman stands out visually as if she's shining. Whereas the black woman blends into the darkness so that she is both indistinct and is part of it. Since we can't see her features, she seems a lot less human. It's without a doubt some of the most artful racist advertising I've seen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of unbelievable, isn't it? I've been reading some stuff about it, like here:
http://bagnewsnotes.typepad.com/bagnews/2006/07/getting_played.html
and here:
http://www.reappropriate.com/2006/07/white-pride-playstation.html

But, see, it might be like how the AP thought its misleading article on Harry Reid was so terrific that the reporter who wrote it received a prize for best story of the week or whatever. The story had provoked so much comment and drawn so much attention that it was considered a success, even though it didn't do much to inform the public. Which, most people might assume, would be the purpose of a news wire story. That might be the point here. We live in debased times.

Anonymous said...

wow, i can't wait to get into this industry.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the non-linkage in the comment. I was a glass and a half of wine on the good side of an enthusiastic tear and completely forgot that I might have to do something besides ... um, type. (And I'm betting nien will someday be one of the few creating eye-catching, artful, memorable, even funny advertising that doesn't rely on the usual gimmicks. Go, nien!)

Anonymous said...

^^ haha, thanks for props.