Friday, May 26, 2006

Reading classes

so it's been a while since I've actually written about teaching. At my new school, we've opened a couple basic reading classes. This is for kids that have had less than a year of English. So we read 16 pg. picture books over the course of a month and talk about them. Although discussion is pretty limited just based on the book and what they know. They've been pretty successful. I asked my boss to cap the class at 8 which personally is a little too big for a reading class anyway. And we opened one about a month ago, and we're opening a new one tomorrow. It's just an hour, but it's sort of weird because I don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time and half of the kids just don't say much or pay attention. At the same time, it's kind of fun because it's a lot more free in some ways. Although I don't know if they're really learning a whole lot.

I must say, the story we started with, The Cat in the Tree, was a pretty boring book. Hopefully the new book, The Rope Swing, will be more exciting.

No comments: