Thursday, January 19, 2006

The rat race

It seems like people describe life in Taiwan much like life in America. It's really hard to find a job, and even when you find one it's really hard not to get fired. Therefore people in Taiwan work constantly. Many Taiwanese people seem to be under the impression that most Westerners are rather happy-go-lucky. However, I think most of us would only be happy-go-lucky in Taiwan. In America, people say more or less the same thing, no jobs, you have to work harder for less pay and sometimes no health insurance. I sort of wonder if there's a country where people don't say the exact same thing.

4 comments:

Factorial said...

"I sort of wonder if there's a country where people don't say the exact same thing."

Sweden comes to mind.

(Speaking of Sweden, they are opening an IKEA in PDX!!!)

lovelesscynic said...

don't spend ALL your paychecks or your time there ok?

Factorial said...

Don't worry, I don't think it's going to be open for at least a couple of years. Either by that time I'll be out of here or have some high-paying job that allows me to furnish our apartment entirely with IKEA crap.

Mark said...

Guatemala. When I was there, I didn't meet a single stressed out person. I met some shockingly poor people, but nobody who couldn't manage to get in a siesta most days and a little bit of soccer and/or dancing every now and then.