Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Vacation

So, from Sunday to today, I spent two days in Kending and a day in Gaoxiong. At least that was the plan. Anyway, my friend Heather and I spent two days in a sort of surfer's boarding house by the beach. It's about 20 minutes away from a very small township called Hengchun 恆春. I have to say it made me appreciate Jilong a lot more. Not having to wait until the stores open to buy water. Being able to walk places. The buses running later than 6 at night.

The upside being that the weather was incredibly nice and the house was right by the beach. We generally had bad luck with buses. Getting to Kending, Heather and I got separated which stressed me out considerably and going back we got on the SLOWEST BUS EVER. Most of the time waiting more than an hour to get anywhere. However people were generally pretty nice, and one bus driver even gave us gum. Strangely enough the Kending area reminded me a lot of home or my grandparent's town in Hawaii. The weather, climate, and even some of the plants seem pretty much the same. And while on the bus to Kending it seems pretty clear that the tourism is pretty much just like in Hawaii too. Also a lot of the stores sell Hawaii like merchandise.

We got in pretty late so I didn't get much of a chance to see Gaoxiong but it seems like a nice city a little bit more laid back than Taibei.

2 comments:

Mark said...

This isn't the most on-topic comment, but still... It's GREAT to see someone else who actually uses standard pinyin! I don't have to scratch my head an wonder how the heck "Kelung" or some similar place is supposed to be pronounced!

lovelesscynic said...

thanks, actually I use Jilong as a way to disguise where I live. But I agree. The postal system of romanization is even worse than wade giles and I hate wade giles